Archive for December, 2015

December 9th, 2015

Maple Scrap Clock

Last year I made a bunch of Bottle Openers out of Maple. The openers were cut using a jig and created a pile of little wedges as waste material.

IMG_20151128_204136

Rather than trash them, I let them sit on my bench while I contemplated what to do with them. I floated the idea of gluing them together into a circle but I didn’t have enough pieces to make a full circle.

IMG_20151128_204524

Above you can see all of my various calculations done in an attempt to determine how many more wedges that I would need. After almost a year sitting on the bench, I decided to finish this project by first making some more bottle openers to have more wedges and then glue them together to make a clock. The calculations went out the window and I ultimately just used enough wedges to make a circle since the new ones were slightly smaller than the originals.

IMG_20151128_204628

As it turned out, making 11 more Maple bottle openers was still not enough wedges to make a circle. So I made a few more out of pine in order to have enough to finish the project.IMG_20151128_204659

Now that I had enough wedges, I set about gluing them together. To accomplish that, I put some screws through a piece of pegboard in order to hold my rubber band ‘clamps’ at the ready while I applied glue to all of the wedges.

IMG_20151128_205440

And here is the clock starting to take shape after the glue was applied and the rubber bands put around it.

IMG_20151128_212839

It turned out that the points of the wedges didn’t really line up to make true center point. It looks more like a pinwheel but I think it still looks pretty neat despite not being a perfect circle. The next step after letting the glue dry overnight was to sand down both sides of the clock to remove all of the glue from the surface.

IMG_20151202_200042

I decided to add ‘dots’ to the clock in the form of 3/8″ oak dowels. I printed out this clock template and placed it on the face of the clock using a point of a nail to mark the center point of each dowel hole that needed to be drilled out.

IMG_20151206_202714

Once the holes were drilled, I glued in the dowels.

IMG_20151206_204008

The dowels were sanded flush and then several coats of polyshades oak satin finish were applied.

IMG_20151207_185056

After painting the clock hands brown, I installed the clock movement.

IMG_20151209_211748

The finished clock now adorns my kitchen wall.

IMG_20151209_212811